CONTACT ME

+2348026352306
sixfeettwoinc@gmail.com
twitter: @disissixfeettwo
facebook: Facebook Page




Wednesday 6 April 2016

Beyonce On "Formation" Video Backlash: "If Celebrating My Roots & Culture During Black History Month Made Anyone Uncomfortable, Those Feelings Were There Long Before A Video"

When Beyonce released her "Formation" single and it's music video in February, she received a lot of criticism. Critics felt like the video had an anti-police message. Her subsequent performance of the song at Super Bowl 50 was also criticized because of her salute to the Black Panther Party.

The Miami police asked other law enforcement agencies to boycott her Formation Tour dates. In turn the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan vowed to provide the singer with safekeeping from the Fruit of Islam.During a new interview with Elle Magazine the singer addresses the controversy publicly for the first time.
"I mean, I'm an artist and I think the most powerful art is usually misunderstood," she said. "But anyone who perceives my message as anti-police is completely mistaken. I have so much admiration and respect for officers and the families of officers who sacrifice themselves to keep us safe. But let's be clear: I am against police brutality and injustice.
 Those are two separate things. If celebrating my roots and culture during Black History Month made anyone uncomfortable, those feelings were there long before a video and long before me. I'm proud of what we created and I'm proud to be a part of a conversation that is pushing things forward in a positive way."


Photo credit: Paola Kudacki

No comments:

Post a Comment